Saturday, July 12, 2008

Fisherman's day 2

Good evening! Wasted almost a whole day doing .....nothing ?
To share my joy, this afternoon postman came beeping outside my gate there is a registered mail, signed as usual. It a letter for $30 voucher and there is another letter for me. From my previous employee and it is a payslip. Guess what, after i quited the company i will still be getting my flexible bonus!! LOL how wonderful life is...although is not a vast sum but it does make me feel delighted.

Anyway back to yesterday topic - fisherman.
In one of the part, there is this story about a fisherman and a business man. Not sure if anyone heard this before.
These is this business man who went for a "recharge" trip in a rural village and he saw this fisherman who is easily contented and seems to be very happy all the while. So he approached him and asked the fisherman. "Sir, what do you do for a living and what else you does beside fishing." So the fisherman told him, he loving fishing every morning he will have his breakfast with their children and he will go fishing when the children is out for school. When he have enough fishes, he will pack up and go home, they will prepare for dinner. When the sun set, he will have a scroll with the family at the beach. So the businessman ask him why he do not fish more and sell it to make money so he could have enough money for retirement, to do things that he enjoyed doing. Fisherman asked the business man:"So what i should do during my retirement? Is it to have meals with the family, scrolling on the beach with my wife and to fish everyday because i love fishing? "
The fisherman walked off, smiling to the business man.

From my point of view, this part of the story tells me. The business man has been thinking of making enough money for retirement but yet at the same time he neglected something he could look upon in life beside making money.

These years down the road, i thinking i am becoming like the fisherman, i am easily contented with things. I dropped my big dreams and goals, so would said i lose my goals some would said i am too easily contented. Some would said i should be ambitious. Everyone have an opinon on what i think.

At the same time, I became a melancholic person because the environment, the people around condemned my thinking. I thought is just blissful to be simple, is money that important? Is really owning a car that important? Is staying in a landed property?

I guessed a lot of people would want to be that fisherman but due to the environment that we are in we are forced to become a "business man". Our level of commitment, our lifestyles, almost everything we do is a big deal to us.

The author lives in Orlanda, Florida where my brother is now. I am going to find out from him how is the life of the people there.

Back to the topic, this few days although I told myself i should emptied out my mind but some stuffs just kept pondering in my head non stop.I will have another side of the coin to show.....
Whether to be a fisherman or business man, is everyone's choice. Is very individual. There is no right or wrong but do share your views with me.

Good Night! Hugzzz !!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do the things you enjoy, so that you will not regret in future when you think back. Be yourself, if you feel that you prefer the fisherman;s lifestyle, so be it. Like what you’ve mentioned, there’s no right or wrong.

Btw, great, my flexi bonus coming on Tuesday!!! Heehee...

Eileen Nai said...

well, enviroment & society make people ~~~ wait till e day we learn e magic to overcome the society !

Carter said...

Wah everybody's getting bonuses, woohoo!

- Pinky: What the hell, this blog needs more TECHNO! or disco!! Disco Disco Good Good!!
Or New Wave disco... *call me! caa~aall me!!*

- Eileen: Hello! :D Btw, I am not a food lover. Ask around if you don't believe me. And I'm a cat lover.

- Tan Yan Fen: Hello! :D Miss you so much. Actually, its more like I miss the snacks I bullied you to buy for me, hehee. (No, still not a food lover.)

You know, this post reminds me of the movie Office Space, one of my favorite movies of all time. This guy said to another, "If I had a million dollars I'd do nothing.."

And the other guy replied, "You don't need a million dollars to do nothing."

It takes a strong person to say 'fuck you' to peer pressure, societal pressure, maximisation of profits, "living the good life"; and a brave person to discard the "values" of society, and to pursue a life of freedom (in any sense). Let's hope we all succeed.

Thomas Goh said...

Carter,
You know me, techno will not be here.LOL

The next part of my post would be the evil side of me. Ok i do not know which side is the devil or angel but let me show u the dakness or light in the other side of the coin.

Btw Some teleco company mention about freedom recently but there is still a contract so what freedom does freedom reallty meant?

Carter said...

What they mean is you have the freedom to purchase a SIM card without handset purchase :p

But yeah, I guess you should know, the freedom I'm talking about is the freedom to reject the traditional values of material accumulation in the face of ECONOMIC MISMANAGEMENT, IMMORAL BANKING SYSTEMS, LOSS OF POLITICAL LIBERTY, 30 YEARS FOR A PIGEON HOLE APARTMENT, 10 YEARS FOR A VIOS ONLY TO FIND THAT YOU CAN'T AFFORD YOUR RETIREMENT, and worst of all, the closing down of all techno discos.

No actually that is not the worst of all, but you get my point.If you do a search on either YouTube or on google, you'd see what I mean. I'd recommend searching the keywords "corrupt banking system" first. Its funny how political and economic liberties are the most important to human life as we know it, but people are more concerned about that promotion, that handphone, that chick, that dude, that MTV, that motorbike, that car.

But forget what I said. I'm just that techno-loving dude who drinks every night after work :p

Thomas Goh said...

Hey hey dude,

Thank you for your reaffirm on the corruption system of this world. Never see that video before saw it and as what i have thought before that is where our "Central People Fund" are for :P I would said probably 80% of the human ratio is not concern of promotion, that handphone, that chick, that dude, that MTV, that motorbike, that car that you mention. Is just that a lot of time peopl felt that they are working so damn hard therefore all the above are simply their "rewards" for their hardwork. BUT :D You do need a million air to do nothing :D

Anyway do you know that department od statistics has revealed that the finicial and insurance services sector has the highest growth of 32.4% from Q1 2007. You and me know that banks would not just vanish from the world is totally immpossible.

In fact have you even thought of get something out of nothing?

Thomas Goh said...

And btw man...

techno disco closed down because of its dying trend.. U can start one, lol and start preaching on beer appreciation. Bring back the days of tea dance in Singapore? Where Canto and Fire rocks the sat afternoon ?

Carter said...

Hahaha you still remember the tea dances, Fire/Sparks/Canto, hahaha..
I can't open a disco, it'll close down in two weeks! (because of people like Pinky, hehe).

This banking system cannot be, and will not be destroyed. Because it is the destiny of the world to go on an uninterrupted downward slide (think about it). When it does disappear, it can only be after a post-apocalyptic fallout, like a global nuclear war or something. The only purpose for knowing about it is to help one realise the futility of modern life.

Man, I sound like a radical.. :p Like the Unibomber.. Writing a thesis in a beatup shack with no electricity out in the woods, and backing up that thesis by bombing state universities (hence the name Unibomber). But of course I channel my energies to peaceful pursuits :p

Oh and in reply to 'getting something out of nothing', it is the Tao of heaven to take away what is not rightfully earned.

Okie. I've spoken too much. Will censor myself in the upcoming weeks, haha :P

Anonymous said...

carter: yes yes... always bully me -_-"

Thomas: please update more. LoL

Eileen Nai said...

hello carter.. ya, not food lover (still hard to believe.. haha)... ya drink more ya, but do remb to KEEP UR PHONE SAFE .. dun let history repeat !!! haha....

THomas, waiting to see the dark side !!! muhahahaha

Thomas Goh said...

Carter : how much is too much? :P

Both ladies, please be patience, i am kinda of lazy...In fact yesterday i went to spring clean a home.

Carter said...

Haha I remember your advice to Fen Fen about joining the dark side in order to bring out the the true aarghh sorry I'm supposed to be censored :X

Anonymous said...

Oh ya... now that carter had mentioned, ya, you did mentioned about the dark side more than a year ago...

Eileen Nai said...

muhaha... cant wait to see ur DARK side !!!